The original Ripple Hall is a distinctive 1950’s concrete framed community hall building located in Barking. It provided community facilities in the form of two large halls used on a booked sessional basis by various local voluntary and community groups.
The brief was to refurbish, remodel and extend the existing building to provide a Third Sector Hub for a range of voluntary and community groups.
The existing ground floor hall and stage have been retained to provide a community hall, with the public toilets and changing areas being refurbished. The underutilised first floor hall has been sub divided, including a new mezzanine level and refurbished to provide flexible working and meeting areas. A single storey extension has been provided at the front of the building to provide a new entrance and a new two storey extension constructed in the rear car park to provide additional office space. The two storey extension has columns at ground floor level in the car park to enable cars and emergency vehicles to pass underneath, the first floor level to this extension being at the same level as, and accessed from, the existing first floor.
The existing building is of distinctive appearance with a curved roof, faced in a buff facing brick at low level and a mixture of the same facing brick and slate panels at high level. The new single storey entrance extension has been designed to provide a strong visual presence in the streetscape with slate colour blocks being used to identify with the existing building.
The fabric of the existing building has been upgraded thermally and new services provided throughout, including phototovoltaic panels on the roof.
This project was undertaken whilst acting as Architectural Consultants for Faithorn Farrell Timms.